MDW: What to Eat, Drink, Wear and…work out! 💪👙☀️🇺🇸
We’d first like to take a minute to recognize all of our country’s service men and women who have and continue to protect and serve our great nation. We are so blessed to have people like you fighting for all that we believe in! God bless the USA!!
Summer is FINALLY upon us!! Here at SGC we want to make sure you look and feel your best for this upcoming Memorial Day Weekend. So we comprised a few of our favorite eats, cocktails and body shaping secrets to ensure your MDW is a success! Make sure you follow us on our new Instagram @shortgirlcouture to keep up with all of our weekend fashion!
Tiny and Toned
Before we get to the festivities lets do our bodies right but completing this quick but effective work out – because let’s be honest ladies everyone wants to be bangin’ in their bikinis!
3×12 Burpee’s with push up
3×15 elevated bridges
3×12 tricep dips
3×30 second jump squats
3×1 min plank mountain climbers (knee to opposite elbow)
3×20 V ups
3×15 Donkey kicks
3×20 wide leg plié squats to calf raise
3×1 min (each side) side plank with knee tuck
1 min runners lung each leg
1 min figure 4 glute stretch
30 second quad stretch (lay on your stomach bend your leg – grab the heel of your foot and pull gently. Repeat opposite side)
When we think of Memorial Day, We imagine sitting on a rooftop, basking in the sun while sipping on refreshing summer cocktails and snacking on some delicious food. Whether you’re hosting a party or going to one, we will help you with some yummy food and drink recipes that are easy to make, and help you to style yourself for the warm weather.
In our opinion, the easiest thing to bring to a party or make for a party is pasta salad. Here are a couple recipes that are super tasty and perfect for summer.
Summer Pasta Salad (courtesy of SkinnyTaste.com)
When I made this salad, we substituted Feta for the Parmesan. It was delish!!
Servings: 4 • Size: about 1 1/2 cups • Old Points: 3 pts • Weight Watcher Points+: 5 pt
Calories: 169 • Fat: 5 g • Carb: 29.5 g • Fiber: 4 g • Protein: 6 g • Sugar: 4 g
Sodium: 271 mg (without the salt) • Cholest: 2 mg
• 3 oz (about 4 cups) baby arugula and baby spinach mix
• 5 oz high fiber or whole wheat pasta (use brown rice pasta for GF)
• 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, sliced thin
• 2 tbsp capers, drained
• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• salt and fresh pepper to taste
• 2 tbsp freshly shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions. When done, drain and rinse under cold water.
In a large bowl, combine the pasta, baby greens, sun dried tomatoes, capers, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss well then just before serving top with fresh shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.
We found this Lemon Poppyseed Pasta Salad on the Today Show’s Pinterest. Doesn’t it look AMAZING?! We love mixing the sweet and salty. It’s the perfect combo to make our stomachs happy.
(Chelsea’s Messy Apron)
• 1 box (16 ounces) Radiatore Pasta
• 2 cups chopped chicken (2 boneless skinless chicken breasts)*
• 1 cup chopped strawberries, stems removed
• 1 cup red grapes, sliced in half
• 5-6 miniature yellow bell peppers (or 1 and 1/2 large one)
• 1 cup celery, chopped
• 1/4 cup chopped pecans, or sub slivered almonds
• 1/3 cup feta cheese
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries, optional
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 1 teaspoon light mayo
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons dijon mustard (do not use regular)
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 and 1/2 tablespoon poppyseeds
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon zest of a lemon
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
2. Drain and rinse in cool water.
3. Meanwhile prepare the fruits and vegetables – chop the strawberries (remove stems, halve the grapes, chop and remove the stems and seeds from the yellow peppers, chop the celery.
4. Combine the fruits and vegetables with the chopped pecans and craisins. Mix together gently.
5. Stir in the pasta and mix gently.
6. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and (if desired) Mrs. Dash chicken grilling blends to taste.
7. Lightly coat your skillet with 2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil.
8. Preheat the skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Place the chicken in the skillet and then reduce the heat to medium and cook until the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 8 to 12 minutes.
9. As the chicken cooks, turn it occasionally so it browns evenly. If it starts to brown too quickly, reduce the heat to medium-low.
10. Remove the chicken, allow to cool, and chop. Add to the salad.
11. Meanwhile combine all of the dressing ingredients in a large jar. Shake well to combine.
12. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until completely combined.
13. Sprinkle feta cheese over the salad.
14. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge.
15. Return any leftovers to the fridge in an airtight container.
*We recommend adding olive oil, salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash chicken grilling blends to coat the chicken before cooking in the skillet.
While those lovely recipes fulfill your appetite let these delicious and low cal beverages quench your weekend booze fest thirst!
SIPPIN’ all over the world!!!
It’s MDW and we want you to get your BUZZ on! Here are some must try cocktails that are sure to beat the summer heat this weekend!
The Brazilian “HIP” Shaker:
You can’t call it a Caipirinha without Cachaça – This is a sweet rum-like liquor that is made in Brazil from sugarcane juice. This is one light and refreshing summer cocktail that all guests will enjoy!
In a cocktail shaker, muddle four lime wedges with 2 tsp. of raw sugar until well mixed. Fill a glass with crushed ice. Pour into the shaker and add 2 oz. of Cachaça. Shake well and pour into your glass. Add ice and lime slices as desired.
Want to make a pitcher!? – You’re going to want it!
Combine 16 oz. of Cachaça with 8 oz. of fresh lime juice and 8 oz. of simple syrup.
POOLADA – aka the Pina Colada
Similar to one made at the Four Seasons Bora Bora, one sip of this bad boy and it will surely become your poolside drink of the summer!
Combine two cups of diced fresh pineapple, 1.5 oz. white rum, 1.5 oz. coconut cream, 1 oz. heavy whipping cream and 1.5 cups of ice in a blender. Mix until smooth and garnish with pineapple wedges as desired.
This is one sexy and sweet summer sipper! Made with frozen fruit and every ladies favorite, BUBBLES!
Cut one large peach and two medium apricots into ¼ in. slices. Place evenly in an ice tray and add 1 tsp. of apricot or peach nectar until fruit is covered. Place in freezer for 4-6 hours. Add frozen fruit cubes in a chilled wine glass and pour in your favorite California sparkling wine. As each cube melts, your mouth will be hit with a punch of mouthwatering fruit flavor!
We hope you have a SAFE and epic Memorial Day weekend!!
The SGC shorties!